Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Crisis? What Crisis?

Note: The following was written after not much sleep at DFW Airport during a 90-minute flight delay, fueled by about seven cups of coffee and a greasy grilled turkey sandwich. So, you know. Judge accordingly.



OK, here’s the setup: A guy in California quits his job, sells most of his things, packs two suitcases, puts the rest in a 5 x 10 storage unit (which promptly floods, but that’s a rant for another blog.  Thanks, U-Haul!), and heads off to live in Turkey. And yes that is Turkey the country, not turkey the luncheon meat. Zany antics ensue. 


 I know you have questions. So many questions. With all the hands up in the air, I think the best way to handle this is to answer up front those most commonly asked when I tell people about this wacky scheme, a.k.a. my life.

Q: Are you really moving to Turkey?
A: Yes, I really am. I hold in my hand a one-way ticket to Istanbul and a six-month lease on a furnished apartment in the section of town called Beyoglu.
Alright, I’m not literally holding them, but they’re in my bag somewhere, I’m pretty sure.

Q: So why Turkey?
A: It seems like an interesting place, and I’ve never been there before.

Q: But surely there are many interesting places in the world that you’ve never been to before.
A: Surely you’re right. But that’s not a question.

Q: Do you know anyone in Turkey?
A: I do not. I do know people who know people, sometimes who know other people. It’s good to know people who know people, especially in lieu of knowing no one else within a 2,000-mile radius.

Q: This some kind of mid-life crisis thing, isn’t it?
A: Yes, I considered buying a Porsche and running off with the dental hygienist, but you know, it’s been done.

Q: Aren’t you afraid to go to Turkey? Didn’t you see "Midnight Express?"
A: Yes, I did see "Midnight Express." I also saw Prince’s "Under the Cherry Moon," but that didn’t stop me from living in Minnesota. Still, I have promised all concerned to avoid the issue entirely by not having heroin strapped to my body as I arrive at customs.

Q: Have you learned any Turkish?
A: I’ve learned how to say "Where is the men's room?", "How much is the kabob?" and "Another raki, please." I think that pretty much covers the essentials.

Q: You’re kind of a smart ass, aren’t you?
A: You picked up on that?

Q: See? Right there! You just did it!
A: Oh, calm down. It could get a lot worse, believe me.

Q: What you’re saying is you going to Turkey just for the hell of it?
A: Yes, that’s basically what I’m saying. Well, that’s basically all I’m saying. For the time being at least.

Q: You really have no idea what you’re doing, do you?
A: No. I really don’t. I am completely making this up as I go along.

Q: So why are you doing this blog?
A: You can only make so many smart-ass comments on Facebook before people get tired of you and start blocking your posts. I see this as a way to gather all of my asinine comments in one convenient place, allowing them to be avoided en masse if that’s what it comes to.

Q: Doesn’t this all strike you as self-indulgent and fairly ridiculous?
A: Listen, I’m just looking for a few good stories to impress people at cocktail parties. If that strikes you as shallow then I guess I’m guilty as charged.

Q: Will you be taking any further questions?
A: No, that’s it. I think this bit is starting to grow tiresome.

Q: So we’re done for now?
A: We’re done for now. See you in Turkey.


 
 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


1 comment:

  1. You wouldn't happen to have the number of that dental hygienist, would you?

    ReplyDelete